ABOUT THE AMERICAN IMPRESSIONIST SOCIETY
Four Florida artists founded the American Impressionist Society (AIS) in February 1998, in honor of their mentor, William J. (Bill) Schultz. The founders wanted to exhibit their artwork as an organized group and connect with other artists working in the style of Impressionism.
Thanks to the vision of Charlotte M. Dickinson of Vero Beach, Florida, along with Marjorie I. Bradley of Vero Beach, Florida, Pauline S. Ney of Long Boat Key, Florida, and William Schultz, AIS has grown to be one of the most respected national art organizations in the country, with over 2,000 members nationwide.
Membership is open to artists who are legal US residents and anyone who wishes to support American Impressionism and our mission. Our annual National Juried Exhibition, annual "Impressions Small Works Showcase", and our two Online Exhibitions are open to our current members.
Our exhibitions are coordinated by our Executive Director, board members and volunteers. We encourage our members to become involved and volunteer. AIS is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. We offer both artist memberships and supporting memberships. Contributions are welcome and are tax deductible.
Our Mission Statement
“To promote the appreciation of Impressionism through
exhibitions, workshops and other media.”
Read more about the AIS Definitions of Impressionism
Video - The History of AIS
by founder Charlotte M. Dickinson
AIS is proud of its accomplishments from inception to the present day which include:
- First group exhibition of works by seven AIS artists at the historic Lake Wales Arts Center, Florida, Jan. 7 - Feb. 15, 1999. (At an opening reception, Bill Schultz captivated the audience by demonstrating a pastel head study.)
- First Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Holiday Inn Oceanside, Vero Beach Florida. Nov. 27 & 28, 1999.
- 2nd Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Cincinnati Art Club, Cincinnati, Ohio. Aug. 25 - Sept. 3, 2000.
- 3rd Annual Juried Members Exhibition - William Lester Gallery, Port Reyes Station, California. October 2001.
- 4th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Morro Bay Art Association, San Luis Obispo, CA. October 2002.
- 5th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Charlotte Flinn Gallery, Vero Beach Florida. November 2003.
- 6th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Nichols Taos Fine Art Gallery, Taos, New Mexico. June 2005.
- 7th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Rockport Center For the Arts, Rockport, TX. April 5th - May 6th, 2006.
- 8th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Hilligoss Gallery, Chicago, Illinois. May 2007.
- 9th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - The Coda Gallery, Palm Desert, CA. Nov. 22 - Dec. 21, 2008.
- 10th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Saks Gallery, Denver, CO. Oct. 23 - Dec. 2, 2009.
- 11th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Richland Fine Art, Nashville, TN. Oct. 7 to Nov. 3, 2010.
- 12th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Mountainsong Galleries, Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA. Oct. 15 to Nov. 15, 2011.
- 13th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Eckert & Ross Fine Art, Indianapolis, IN. Nov. 2012. (Included a Master Symposium at the Herron School of Art & Design, Indianapolis/Purdue University, Nov 9-11, 2012, with eight AIS Master Artists instructing.)
- 14th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - M Gallery, Charleston, SC. Oct. 2013.
- 15th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Abend Gallery, Denver, CO. Oct. 2 - Nov. 1, 2014
- 16th Annual Juried Members Exhibition - Trailside Galleries, Scottsdale, AZ. Oct 1 - 29, 2015.
- 17th Annual National Juried Exhibition - Howard Mandville Gallery, Kirkland, WA. Sept. 29 - October 30, 2016.
- Inaugural Small Works Juried Exhibition - Randy Higbee Gallery, Costa Mesa CA. March 11-25, 2017.
- 18th Annual National Juried Exhibition - Montgomery Lee Fine Art, Park City UT, Sept. 28 - Oct. 29, 2017.
- 2nd Annual AIS Impressions Small Works Showcase - Greenhouse Gallery, Cincinnati OH. March 2018
- 19th Annual National Juried Exhibition - Guenzel Gallery, Peninsula School of Art, Fish Creek WI. Sept 27 - Oct. 28, 2018
- 3rd Annual AIS Impressions Small Works Showcase - Crooked Tree Arts Center, Petoskey MI, June 1 - Aug. 31, 2019
- 20th Annual National Juried Exhibition - Salmagundi Club, NYC. Sept. 19 - Oct. 2, 2019
- 4th Annual AIS Impressions Small Works Showcase - RS Hanna Gallery, Fredericksburg TX, March 6 - April 4, 2020
- AIS Online Exhibition September-November 2020
- 21st Annual National Juried Exhibition - Illume Gallery of Fine Art, St George UT, October 22 - November 21, 2020
- 5th Annual AIS Small Works Impressions Showcase-Reinert Fine Art, Charleston, SC April 1-April 30, 2021
- AIS Associate Member Online Exhibition April 30-June 30-, 2021
- 22nd Annual National Juried Exhibition-Gallery 1516, Omaha, NE September 9-December 12, 2021
- 6th Annual AIS Impressions Small Works Showcase Wilder Nightingale Fine Art, Taos, New Mexico May 2022
- 23rd Annual National Juried Exhibition Mary Williams Fine Arts Boulder, Colorado September 2022
- 2nd Annual Associate Member Online Exhibition December 2022
- 7th Annual AIS Small Works Showcase The District Gallery, Knoxville Tennessee April-May 2023